The Singing Showdown was part of the festival for 7 years, from 2009-2015.
Under the contest rules, contestants were required to be amateur performers, meaning they had never been paid to perform. Each contestant auditioned one song in front of a panel of judges.
Acts were judged on the following criteria:
- Visual Presentation (stage presence, attire, etc.)
- Vocal Quality (pitch, timbre, range, control, pronunciation, etc.)
- Preparation (tuned, rehearsed, readiness to perform, etc.)
- Audience Response (crowd participation, will this engage the audience, etc.)
- Professionalism (originality, marketable qualities, showmanship, etc.)